Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rest In Peace

Yesterday they buried the Preacher from Lynchburg. May the media give him peace.

In the week since he died it seems like everyone wants a piece of him. Some said terrible things. They were glad he was gone. Others spoke with sadness and appreciation for his life. For a few days the Preacher dominated talk radio, editorials and Internet chat rooms.

When I die, I hope our world ignores me so my family can grieve and I can rest in peace.

I wonder what people said in Jerusalem after Jesus died on the cross and was buried. “He was great, but….” “Oh we liked his miracles and preaching about love, but he sure could be hateful—look at the way he spoke to the merchants and moneychangers in the Temple!” “He had faith, but it wasn’t my brand!” --It was probably a lot like we heard this past week.

The religious and political establishment of Jesus’ day didn’t like him very much. Is it any wonder that opinions are divided over his followers today?

Sure, many of Jesus’ followers haven’t been perfect. Some made matters worse by things they said or did. But which of us hasn’t said or done something we later regretted? Let him cast the first stone at the Preacher from Lynchburg.

The great message of the Bible is that God can change people from the inside out. Even preachers make mistakes and need forgiveness. But, sadly, most people don’t offer the same forgiveness toward others that they expect God to give them when they pray.

In “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” Steven Covey writes that you should begin with the end in mind. Pick your outcome and then back up and make your plan. That way you end up where you want to be. When leaders do that we call it “vision.”

Why not take his advice? Look down the road ahead of you. What do you want people to say about you after you die? Ponder that and it will lead you to adjust some of your priorities.

But hold it right there for just a minute.

Does it really matter what people say about you when you’re gone? The bigger question should be, “What do you want God to say about you after you die?” The only opinion that really matters 30 seconds after you die is God’s. The Bible says, “Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.” God will judge each one of us for the works we do in this life.

Today is my birthday. But the next most important day of my life was my second birthday—the day I personally asked Jesus Christ to be my Lord and my Savior. Jesus called it being “born again.” That was the day my name was written in God’s Book of Life. The Bible says that God knows those who are his.

One day they will bury this Preacher from Buena Vista. The only things that should concern me about my death is that my family will know where I am and that God will claim me as his own. And if you and your family will put your trust in Christ, you can know what awaits you on the other side—and they will be comforted knowing they will see you again.

Jesus’ follower, Peter, said, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” Jesus saves. The Preacher from Lynchburg preached that and it’s the message that I preach. It can’t be improved upon.

That message has changed millions of lives for the better and it can change yours as well. If you will accept it and believe in Jesus Christ, then you too will be able to rest in peace. Because when God says it--that settles it.

Listen to the Bible; it’s good for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter