Monday, January 7, 2008

Forget About It!

Most people don’t like to forget.

I had a great idea last week, but I forgot it before I could write it down. Does that ever happen to you? It’s frustrating, to say the least.

Then, in the Sunday paper, I read an article about forgetfulness. It said forgetting is a normal part of aging. For everyone. And that’s supposed to make us all feel better.

I feel better already, don’t you? Wait. What was I supposed to feel better about? I forgot.

For a number of years I’ve used a Palm PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) to help me remember events, birthdays and information. It was a great help until its hard drive crashed before Christmas. So it can’t remember either. Bummer.

Now I walk around wondering if I’m forgetting to do something important. I don’t like to forget what I’m supposed to remember!

So it struck me when I learned of someone who forgets things on purpose.

Now hold on just a minute! Why would anyone do that?

Well he didn’t actually say he forgets things on purpose. He said he remembers them no more. So it’s kind of like forgetting on purpose--but not exactly. Let me explain.

There are some things we hope people will forget. Like our failures. Or “great” ideas that flopped big time. Or times we let our family down—especially those.

Have you noticed how people remember our failures more than our successes? We know we failed. But some people have to remind us about it. They must think they’re doing us a favor. Some even seem to enjoy it.

So it’s a surprise to learn that God is the exception. He forgives and forgets. Really.

When a person comes to Jesus Christ and trusts in him as their Lord and Savior, the Bible says God forgives all their sin. All the failures. All the things they wished they’d never done.

Now being forgiven is an unusual experience for us humans. Usually people want revenge. So we’re not sure about this forgiveness deal. God knows that so he keeps it simple.

The Bible says God separates us from our sin, “as far as the East is from the West.” It says he has thrown our sins “into the depths of the ocean.” We start to get the idea. He’s not planning to bring it up again and rub our noses in it.

But the best part is when he says, “I will never again remember their sins.” That’s even better than forgetting. How? Forgetting is passive. It’s something that happens and we didn’t plan on it. We intend to remember but forgot instead.

However, to “never again remember” is active. It’s like God is saying, “I know about your failure but I don’t plan to think about it again. I will not remember it. I will not remind you of it. Ever.” Now that’s amazing. God is the only one who does that.

How can he do it? He can do it because the Bible says Jesus’ death on the cross paid the penalty for our sin in full.

God doesn’t want you to feel dirty, grovel or be ashamed any longer. There’s no need. Once he forgives you, you’re clean. He gives you a fresh start.

Only it’s not automatic. God did his part by sending his Son, Jesus, to take the rap, the punishment for our sins on the cross. All he asks us to do is believe. To trust him. He will forgive and forget. And once God forgives you, you’re at peace with him.

Your sins? “Forget about it!” Now go make things right with others you’ve hurt.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter