Monday, May 12, 2008

Hard Times

Hard times—what’s that? Many didn’t know. Until recently.

The last 25 years have been very good to America. We bought bigger homes and cars. And we forgot what it was like to do without.

Now the price of necessities seems to go up every day. People don’t know what to do.

My parents and grandparents could tell you about hard times. They lived through the Great Depression. Soaring unemployment and food shortages were daily realities. My father’s family picked up coal from the railroad tracks to heat their home.

Today we face the reality of an “economic downturn.” People fear a recession.

Well hold on just a minute. When times are tough, the tough get going--right?

Right. Like going to sell all their stuff.

A recent news story headlined, “Americans unload prized belongings to make ends meet in ailing economy.” Donations to charities are down as people turn to flea markets and online auctions to sell their possessions. A diamond engagement ring was recently listed to help pay bills. Sellers plead, “Please buy anything you can to help out.”

Apparently, when times are tough, we turn to the dollar.

But where do you turn when you run out of things to sell? Family? Friends? Yes and yes. But there’s a limit to what they can do. Then you’re on your own again. What then?

Why not turn to God? Good idea--but how can we be sure he’ll come through for us? Many don’t know him very well. For them he’s a big mystery.

The Bible says that God loves us. He has done everything necessary to remove the barriers (sins) that might come between us. That’s why Jesus died on the cross.

Now he waits for us to take the next step. By trusting in Christ’s death for forgiveness of our sin we are restored to a personal relationship with him--the God who made us.

Next the Bible encourages us to get to know God’s family, the church. There we meet fellow travelers who will pray with us, encourage us and help us on our spiritual journey.

Once we know we’re God’s children, there are many promises for us to claim. Promises like: “My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” And “Those that hope in the Lord will renew their strength.”

The Bible is full of promises for us. It says God wants to give his children good things.

There are many who spend much of their life worrying about what they will eat, drink or wear. Jesus said, “Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

What about those who say, “I tried religion and it didn’t work”?

Religion is man reaching into the unknown hoping to connect with God. But Christianity is God reaching out to man in the person of Jesus Christ. He wants us to know him personally.

At Jesus’ baptism eyewitnesses reported hearing a voice from heaven that said, “This is my son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

After hearing God’s “Eyewitness News,” the Bible, I turned from my self-centered life and received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. My life was not only transformed, I also learned my heavenly Father answers prayer and keeps his promises.

Now when I face hard times, I know I have a God who loves me and will meet my needs.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter