Monday, July 21, 2008

Identity Theft

If someone stole your identity, how could you get it back?

Identity theft is the 21st Century crime. My dictionary defines it as “the fraudulent acquisition and use of a person's private identifying information, usually for financial gain.”

Maybe you’ve already had your identity stolen. I have. And it’s hard to get it back.

Several years ago someone emptied my bank account by posing as me on the Internet. Two months ago I began receiving 30 telemarketing calls a day. Someone tried to harass me by signing me up for information from online companies.

My tormentor even went so far as to sign me up for a long distance service I didn’t want.

Now each of those companies thought I was someone I was not—either a potential customer or, in the case of the long distance company, an actual customer. But I wasn’t.

Someone with a hidden agenda was misrepresenting me and I had to convince the companies who I really was. And the same thing has happened to Jesus Christ.

Now hold on just a minute. Jesus Christ suffered from identity theft?

Yes. And if those who misrepresent him fool us, it will result in more than a financial loss!

There are those today who tell us that you can become a god like Jesus. Others say he was less than divine. That he was just an ordinary man but a great teacher. Or he was a prophet like Buddha or Mohammed. Some refer to a sacred mushroom as “Jesus.” Really!

You owe it to yourself to discover the truth. Why? Because where you spend eternity rides on your answer to two questions: 1) “Who is Jesus Christ?” and 2) What will you do with Jesus?

The Bible gives God’s answer to both questions. First it calls Jesus the “Word of God.” It says, “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.”

Not “a god” but “God.” And if anyone tells you differently, they have stolen Jesus’ identity.

Listen to Jesus words: “Before Abraham was born, I AM!” The words “I AM” translate a special holy name for God in the Jewish Bible—what Christians call the Old Testament. And since Abraham lived around 2000 B.C., Jesus was saying he existed before Abraham.

Another time Jesus said, “I and the Father are one.” Those who heard him understood he was claiming to be the Creator God of the Bible. They told Jesus they were going to stone him “Because you a mere man claim to be God.”

So be careful where you get your facts about Jesus. Even some groups calling themselves a “church” have tried to steal Jesus’ identity and misrepresent him. But the truth is easy to find.

Your best source is the Bible itself. Don’t take my word for it. Pick up a Bible and read what it says about Jesus. Get a reliable modern translation. Avoid groups claiming to be the only ones with the truth or the right translation. Run if they won’t let you question what they teach.

A good place to start is in the New Testament Gospel of John. John was one of Jesus’ friends and records what he saw as an eyewitness. Plus he doesn’t have a hidden agenda.

What should you do with Jesus? John tells us: “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and that by believing you may have life in his name.”

The truth is that through Jesus Christ you can live your life the way God intended. You can experience true forgiveness for your failures. You can find a lifelong purpose. And you can have an assurance and a peace about eternal life that is available nowhere else.

The Bible says Jesus is the Son of God who died for sin and rose from the dead. Trust in him.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter