Monday, October 13, 2008

Heated Debate

I love a good debate. My wife? —not so much. She thinks it’s arguing.

As a result, I find myself watching the Presidential debates alone. Wincing at some remarks and hoping for a civil debate about the issues--it can be a frustrating experience.

My love of debating started in High School. I was blessed to have a teacher who encouraged reading news magazines, discussing current events and critical thinking.

In college the coffee shop was the place for lively debate. In grad school it was the Seminary lounge. Sometimes it got a little heated, but we were sharpening our logic and our minds.

The only thing worse than a dull mind is the attitude it produces--an attitude that says, “Don’t bother me with the facts. My mind is made up and you’re not changing it!”

A wise person once said, “By the time most people are 30 they’re like concrete—thoroughly mixed up and firmly set.”

What keeps that from happening? Reading widely, talking with others and critical thinking.

As a result, I read constantly. I like “Letters to the Editor” and the editorial pages in the newspaper. Why? Because I get to evaluate the thinking of people who disagree with me.

Without a challenge to our assumptions, without an objection to our worldview, how do we know we are right?

“Now hold on just a minute!” someone will say. “I know I’m right because I’m right! And I believe it with all my heart.”

Okaaaaaay. Would you explain that to me one more time?

Sound thinking is especially important when it comes to spiritual matters. Faith and reason are not contradictory. They are complimentary. But not everyone sees it that way.

Comedian Bill Maher’s recent mockumentary movie, “Religulous,” insists Christianity “stops people from thinking.” Is that true? Do Christians check their brains at the door?

In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

True, some Christians aren’t thoughtful about their faith--but that’s by choice. And while anti-intellectualism is present in some places, Christians should never make a virtue of not thinking. In fact history will support the claim that, for the most part, we haven’t.

Many of history’s greatest thinkers were Christians. Faith was central in their quest for truth.

The Bible tells us to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind.” It adds, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

God’s invitation to consider our spiritual needs says, “Come now, let us reason together.” And early Christians, like the Apostle Paul, “reasoned” with doubters.

So when it comes to faith and spirituality, how about a thoughtful discussion? Let’s get off our “talking points” and explore truth. Because the truth is all that matters.

The next time you’re in a heated debate, remember these wise words from the Bible: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of a fool gushes folly.”

A heated debate--anger, accusations or slander--doesn’t win the day. Neither does mocking another’s beliefs. Know why you believe what you believe. Then explain it as simply as you can.

If what you say is true, it’s like planting a seed. When the soil is good, it bears good fruit.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Christian,

aloha brother. Great post, and you know how I dislike a good debate...haha. thanks for your thoughts, Steve Mitchell

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter