Monday, March 16, 2009

Unlikely Heroes

My childhood heroes were amazing. Heroes like Roy Rogers, Superman and Gene Autry. All were household names for my generation.

Such heroes were larger than life. It seemed like they could do anything!

What I didn’t know was that the true heroes in my life were the real people all around me.

People like my High School Guidance Counselor, Mr. Boyd. He listened to and advised me.

My Speech and Drama teacher, Mr. Umbach, taught me to express myself. To be me.

Mr. Amoresano, my Art teacher, encouraged creativity and believed in me when I did not.

The Teen Sunday School teacher at my church was Mrs. Culp. She prepared Bible lessons every Sunday and put up with distracted students. She wanted me to know God personally.

Ralph Irving was a youth sponsor at my church. He drove a big Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon and was our youth group’s transportation. Whether it was going bowling or just hanging out together, we could count on Ralph. He was there for us. He listened to us.

The reason I am who I am today is not because of Roy Rogers, Superman or Gene Autry. It’s because of people like Mr. Umbach, Mrs. Culp and Ralph Irving. Unlikely heroes all.

“Now hold it right there for just a minute! Aren’t heroes extraordinary people?” Not always.

In the song “Hero,” Christian rock band, SuperChick sang, “Heroes are made when you make a choice.” And that choice is the decision to get involved. To care about someone else’s needs.

Everyone must choose between getting involved in helping others or focusing on themselves.

One day a religious teacher asked Jesus how to inherit eternal life. Since they were both Jewish, Jesus asked him “What is written in the Law of Moses? How do you read it?”

The man replied, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“You have replied correctly,” Jesus answered. “Do this and you will live.”

But the man wasn’t satisfied and asked a follow up question: “And who is my neighbor?”

Jesus’ answer was the story of the Good Samaritan. In the story, a man was beaten, robbed and left for dead. Three men happened upon the victim. The first two were religious leaders. But they crossed the road and passed by the man in need.

The third man, a despised Samaritan, stopped out of concern and helped the injured victim.

After Jesus told his story he asked the religious teacher which man was a neighbor to the man who was robbed. He could have asked which man was a hero. Same thing.

“The one who had mercy on him,” answered the teacher.

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

The Good Samaritan’s story is a surprisingly sad commentary on some people’s religion. The two you would expect to help did nothing. Apparently their religion didn’t affect their lives outside their house of worship. It could have but they didn’t let it.

The hero of the story stands out because he made a choice to help a stranger in need. It wasn’t an amazing supernatural ability that set him apart. It was his choice to care and to act.

If you think about it, your life probably has a few unlikely heroes, too. Ordinary people who changed your life because they really cared about you.

Imagine the difference your life could make if you choose to be a neighbor, a hero, to the people God puts in your path. You could go from zero to hero just by making that choice.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter