Monday, July 13, 2009

Final Version

Did you ever wish you could rewrite your life? I have.

Life, however, is not a term paper. We don’t get to write a rough draft, think about it, fine-tune it and then print the final version.

For a column like this that works fine. It goes through many rewrites before I submit the final draft. But real life? Not a chance.

In my last column I mentioned one thing in my life that, for years, I wished I could have changed. That event, a move in mid-senior year from a small town high school to a large regional high school, was life changing.

At the time I didn’t think it would be traumatic. I actually encouraged my dad to take the job that caused the move. It never occurred to me how much I’d miss graduating with my friends.

I didn’t know I wouldn’t get to go through graduation due to differences in the two schools’ curriculums (and some bad choices I made). Talk about unintended consequences!

Yes, I received a diploma. But it was without the cap and gown. A real “downer.”

What I didn’t mention was that I wouldn’t change it now. Because God used that experience to make me who I am today. Though I couldn’t see it at the time, God was working in my life.

“Now just a minute! Are you saying life’s difficulties could actually be blessings in disguise?”

That’s right. And not only “could be” blessings, but they are blessings for the child of God.

The Bible says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” It goes on to say that God is able to use the experiences of our lives to make us more like his son, Jesus Christ.

What if you’re not a child of God? In that case he’s drawing you to himself through your life.

God is patiently waiting for you to turn to him and discover he loves you. And to learn that through Christ’s death on the cross, he is willing to forgive you and forget your sin.

What you must do is admit your mistakes, turn away from your self-centered life and follow Jesus Christ as your Lord. Then you can “go with the flow” in life because the flow is with Jesus.

Many people love Psalm 23 because it portrays God as the Good Shepherd who cares for his sheep. He loves us, provides for, protects and guides us. But to enjoy the benefits, you must follow the Shepherd. You must allow him to lead you through the good times and the bad.

One of God’s characteristics is that he is good. Even when you don’t understand what he is doing, you can trust his heart. Why? Because he is God and his ways are above our ways.

In the play “As You Like it” Shakespeare wrote, “All the world's a stage / And all the men and women merely players / They have their exits and their entrances / And one man in his time plays many parts.”

If Shakespeare is right, then God is the director of the play. He works in all the parts of our lives. As the Bible says, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

We have this one life. It’s not a practice life. Or a dress rehearsal. Or a rough draft. There will be mistakes, bad choices and unintended consequences. The good news is that God is able to take our mistakes and work them together for our good.

So don’t stress out because you can’t do a rewrite and submit a final version of your life.

God is in charge. That’s why Jesus said, “Do not worry” because our heavenly father knows what we need.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter