Monday, September 21, 2009

Imperfect World

I didn’t have a friend in the world. That’s how I felt as a boy. And it hurt.

People I loved let me down. I was blamed and punished for things I didn’t do. As a result I felt unloved, rejected and alone. Like I didn’t have a friend and no one understood the real me.

In a perfect world people wouldn’t treat me like that. But we live in an imperfect world. One in which virtually every problem in our lives can be traced back to one root cause: Sin.

“Now hold on just a minute! We’re modern people. Who’s to say what sin is or causes?”

Great question! And the answer is God.

One reason the Bible was written was to help us understand how humankind got in the mess we’re in. Then it offers the only real solution that works every time it’s used.

To solve the problem, we must get at the sin behind the bad behavior. And then use the gospel of Jesus Christ on it. But that proves difficult because it is painfully self-incriminating.

Kierkegaard, the Danish philosopher and theologian, offered a good explanation of the sin underneath our sinful behavior. He said in “Sickness Unto Death” that sin is building your identity on anything but God.

That’s why the first of the Ten Commandments in the Bible is “You shall have no other gods before me.” And the second commandment adds, “You shall not make for yourself an idol.”

Why did God say that? Was it because he didn’t want us to have freedom of choice? No.

God knows that if we allow something else to be the focus of our affections, if we seek the main source of our life, happiness, and self-worth in anything but him, we will be disappointed.

Most of us fancy ourselves to be modern people. The idea of an “idol” sounds so primitive. However, we all have idols. Not some little statue or image we worship but something that is more important to us than anything else.

For some it’s money or sports. For others it’s another person’s approval. It could be pleasure or power—controlling others—that makes them feel alive and secure.

Everyone at some basic level thinks, “If I had that, if I did that, if I chose that, then my life would be worth living. Then I will feel alive.” And that thing is the main idol of your life. You adore it. It brings you pleasure. You worship it.

Whatever that thing is for you, you’ll need to have it and it will enslave you. If you actually get it, it won’t completely satisfy you. And if you fail it--it will curse you the rest of your life.

Do you remember the Bible story about the rich young man who came to Jesus? He said he had kept all the commandments. (Read about it in the gospel of Matthew, chapter 19.)

What a great disciple or church member he would have made! But he left Jesus. Why?

He was disappointed because Jesus told him, “‘If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.”

What was Jesus saying? That he needed to be more generous, more charitable? No. Jesus knew that his god, his idol, his security and his savior were all wrapped up in his wealth. And until he gave up its hold on him, Jesus could never be his Lord and Savior.

Jesus Christ is the only master that satisfies. And if you fail him, he died on the cross to forgive your sin. Your idols can’t do that. No one else can die on the cross for your sin.

I believe Jesus would say to us today, “Give up your false gods. Then come, follow me.”

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter