Monday, May 17, 2010

Messie No More

Are you a ‘Messie’? A Messie is someone that suffers from chronic disorganization.

If you are a Messie, you could join “Messies Anonymous,” an online group to help those with a “messie mindset.” Or you could pick up “The Messies Manual” to learn how to bring order and beauty to your home.

Right now several readers are saying, “Sign me up and buy me the book!”

For some, being a Messie is a personality trait. For others, it’s a by-product of modern life.

If you could see my office you might think I’m a Messie. But I refuse to believe it.

Neatness and organization have always been important to me. But lately I’ve had so much going on in my life that I just can’t keep up with all the mail, papers and magazines. Do you know what I mean?

Plus, there are some things I keep because I might need them some day. The result? A mess.

Hold on just a minute while I move a few papers and get rid of some trash.

There. That’s better. Two stacks of mail were three years old! How does that happen?

Often I plan to clean up but then get distracted by a task, a phone call or an idea that I have to write down before I forget it. I tell myself, “I’ll clean up when I finish this.”

Before I know it, stacks of stuff are all over my office. When I need something in one of the stacks, I have to dig for it. Where did all this stuff come from? Help--I’m buried in it!

Sin is a lot like that, too. It creeps up on you. Gradually it takes over your life.

Of course our lives weren’t always such a mess. As children our lives were fairly simple. But as we grew we perfected the art of deception. (Adults call it “finesse.”) To begin we deceive ourselves and then others. We stack deceit upon deceit. Soon it’s more than we can control.

First we buy the lie that life is all about us. From there it’s easy to justify almost anything!

More than our actions, sin is really an attitude that says, “I don’t need God. I decide what’s right and wrong, good and bad.” And that’s the original sin. We’re just like Adam and Eve!

Of course we don’t advertise our self-centeredness. We whitewash it with the excuse that what we’re doing is “best for all involved.” But it’s really best for us.

So, just like closing the door when my office is messy, we conceal our cluttered hearts.

What’s the solution? To admit we’re Messies and need help. We must come to our senses, swallow our pride and admit our problem. We’ve embraced clutter over clean. And in our hearts something else is more important to us than loving, pleasing and obeying God.

Once you realize what has happened, you must act quickly and decisively. If you don’t you could end up being a Messie your entire life. Admitting you’re the problem is the first step.

For the committed Messie it means asking someone to clean up for you. Why? Because we become so attached to our stuff that we won’t let it go—even though it’s ruining our lives!

When we finally admit the mess we’ve made of our lives, the only effective solution is to accept God’s plan for a clean heart. The Bible says that faith in Jesus Christ and his death on the cross removes the mess of sin from our lives and gives us a clean conscience.

So instead of just rearranging our messy lives, God takes out our trash when we trust in him. He gives us a new heart, not just a fresh start. Love for God expels the love of self.

Today I encourage you to choose clean instead of clutter. Not just in your house but also in your heart. When you do you’ll know the joy of being a Messie no more.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, reminds me of "The Tyranny of the Urgent" in a way.

Tom (Tommy)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter