Monday, January 3, 2011

Bad Memory

Do you have a bad memory?

A ‘bad memory’ has different meanings depending on your age. When I was a boy a bad memory would’ve been recalling an unhappy event like our family’s car wreck when I was three.

Now that I’m older, ‘bad memory’ has taken on a whole new meaning! If I have a list of more than three things to remember, I’d better write them down because otherwise I’ll forget.

Occasionally I have an idea but I forget it before I can write it down. You too? Frustrating!

An article I once read said forgetting is a normal part of aging for everyone. I guess that’s supposed to make us feel better!

I feel better already, don’t you? Wait--what was I supposed to feel better about? I forgot.

Last year, about this time, I got my first smartphone. In addition to keeping a list of contacts and phone numbers, it also helps me remember events, birthdays, tasks and other information. It was a great help until it crashed the week after Thanksgiving.

Suddenly my BlackBerry couldn’t remember either. Bummer. Talk about a bad memory!

Until my phone’s memory was restored, I wondered if I was forgetting to do something important. So it struck me as odd when I learned of someone who forgets things on purpose.

“Now hold on just a minute!” you say. “Why would someone forget things on purpose?”

Well he didn’t actually say he forgets things on purpose. He said he remembers them no more. So it’s kind of like forgetting on purpose--but not exactly. Let me explain.

There are some things we hope people will forget. Like our failures. Or ‘great’ ideas that flopped in a big way. Or times we let our family down--especially those things!

Have you noticed how people remember our failures more than our successes? We know we failed. But some people have to remind us about it. Over and over. They even seem to enjoy it.

So it’s a surprise to learn that God is the exception. He forgives and forgets. Really.

When a person comes to Jesus Christ and trusts in him as their Lord and Savior, the Bible says God forgives all their failures. All their sins. All the things they wished they’d never done.

Now being forgiven is an unusual experience for us humans. Usually people want revenge. So we’re not sure about this forgiveness deal. God knows that so he keeps it simple.

The Bible says God separates us from our sin, “as far as the East is from the West.” It says he has thrown our sins “into the depths of the ocean.”

We start to get the idea. He’s not planning to bring it up again and rub our noses in it.

But the best part is when he says, “I will never again remember their sins.” That’s even better than forgetting. Why? Forgetting is passive. It’s something that happens and we didn’t plan on it. We intend to remember but forgot instead.

However, to say, “I will never again remember” is active. It’s like God saying, “I know about your failure but I don’t plan to think about it again. I will not remember it. Ever.”

God is the only one who does that. Isn’t that amazing?

How can he do it? He can do it because the Bible says Jesus’ death on the cross paid the penalty for our sin in full. God doesn’t want you to feel dirty, grovel or be ashamed any longer. There’s no need. Once he forgives you, you’re clean. He gives you a fresh start.

So if your life is full of bad memories, bring them to God, trust him and he’ll forgive and forget. Forever. Then you can go and forgive others as you’ve been forgiven.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter