Monday, December 8, 2008

No Pokies

Children have a way of getting right to the point.

Last week I spoke to my granddaughter on the phone. She will soon be five years old. I told her I loved her and can’t wait to hug her and kiss her. Normal grandpa stuff.

Her response? “I love you too, Grandpa. You can come soon and hug me and kiss me. But no pokies.”

What she meant by “No pokies” was a mystery. Then my daughter got on the phone and explained that her husband shaves once a week. My granddaughter wanted to be sure my beard wasn’t prickly. That way there’d be no “pokies.”

Well, needless to say, I had a good chuckle. I thought, “How precious!” Then I told my wife we need to go visit them soon so I can hold my granddaughter and get those hugs and kisses.

There’s something about the honesty and innocence of children that inspires us. And they can teach us much if we will pay attention.

Well, hold on just a minute. Aren’t we supposed to teach children?

Yes, but there is much we can learn from them. Especially when it comes to faith.

Jesus knew that some of the purest faith in the world belongs to children. The average adult of his day viewed children as unimportant and something of a bother. Even Jesus’ disciples.

One day when parents wanted Jesus to pray for their children, the disciples rebuked them. So Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

Another time Jesus added, “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

His point? The openness, faith and receptivity of children are an example to us.

The kingdom of God must be received as a gift. It is available to all who are humble and know they are helpless. Human effort is of no avail.

And that’s really the point of Christmas.

Christmas is about God offering us a gift. We did nothing to deserve it. He offers us a Savior who can forgive our sin and give us eternal life—a life of joy and purpose.

It cost God a lot. He gave us his very best. But it’s a free gift to all who receive it with the simple faith and trust of a child. Will you open your heart and accept it by faith?

As adults it’s too easy for us to lose Jesus in the Christmas rush. Don’t let it happen to you.

So when you gather with your family this year, watch the little children. Not only are they cute, they’re special to God. Their faith can point our hearts in the right direction.

And guys, if you want hugs and kisses—be sure you don’t have any “pokies”!

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter