Monday, January 26, 2009

Homesick

Last week I received an invitation to my fortieth High School Class Reunion. I guess that’s the official notice I’m now “old.”

It was exciting to hear our class is getting back together. Just thinking about visiting my hometown, seeing old friends and catching up with them made me a little homesick.

When I go, there are some places I’d like to visit. So I went online and started looking up addresses. What I discovered surprised me.

On some Google Maps there is an option called “Street Level” view. When I clicked on that, I saw that I could virtually “drive” through the streets of my hometown. It was amazing!

First I looked at my grandparents’ house. Across the street was the building where my great-grandfather had a meat market. A few doors down was a building that held a neighborhood store where I bought penny candy as a child.

Then I checked out the two houses my family lived in. I went by the schools I attended.

There was the gas station where I used to get air for my bike tires. I went by the appliance store once owned by a friend’s father. Downtown I saw where Joe’s Diner used to be.

It was almost an “out of body” experience—like I was THERE. Wow. I didn’t want to leave.

The feeling that came over me is hard to explain. Was it nostalgia, homesickness or a longing to go back to a simpler time?

There was a real sense of connection to my past. And even though I wasn’t there any more, somehow I felt like I still belonged there.

Dorothy had it right in the “Wizard of Oz.” There’s no place like home.

Then I thought, “You know what? Heaven is like that.”

Now hold it for just a minute. How is Heaven like looking at your hometown online?

Well, it’s like this: The Bible gives us a virtual picture of Heaven. We’re not there but, when you read about it, you can “see” it in your mind’s eye. Sort of a virtual reality.

In Heaven you’ll have that hometown feeling forever. And when you arrive, you’ll feel like you’re being welcomed to a combination high school and family reunion—and then some!

In his book “90 Minutes in Heaven,” Don Piper, describes his experience entering heaven like a reunion or a homecoming. It was a place where he felt he completely belonged.

Some people think that Heaven is a place where we’ll sit on clouds and play harps. But that’s just a result of someone’s active imagination.

According to the Bible, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him – but God has revealed it to us.”

In the Bible we read about a heavenly city. It’s called a “paradise.” Jesus will be there. It’s a place where there will be no more tears. We’re told people from every nation will be there.

It’s common now for people to pre-arrange their funerals. Have you made advance arrangements for eternity? Everyone will spend forever somewhere. Where will you be?

The Bible says, “The gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” If Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior, that’s all you need. Be sure you are trusting in him and his death on the cross for your sin.

The Bible is like God’s “Street Level” view of Heaven. It gives us just a glimpse of the ultimate hometown! One of the best parts? --It’s a place you’ll never want to leave.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter