Monday, February 2, 2009

Alive to Deer

I will never forget the dark Sunday night 20 years ago when I hit a deer.

We had just left the country church I served. After a long day I was looking forward to home.

In the back of my 1980 Pontiac Safari Station Wagon was a full load of firewood. In the front seat my daughter and I were settling in for the 90-minute ride.

Because it was so dark, I turned on the headlight high beams to see better.

Suddenly my daughter yelled, "Dad, look out!"

Then I saw it--a deer in the headlights!

I stood on the brakes, hoping the wood didn't end up in the front seat. The deer stood in the road staring back.

There was a THUD and a CRUNCH as the deer shattered the car’s grill. Then it rolled off the front bumper and bolted into a cornfield.

We got out of the car, shaken. After surveying the damage, we got back in the car and continued home. But, believe me, the rest of that ride was different than it had been.

Suddenly I was aware of deer like never before. Now I looked for them everywhere.

Someone once said, “Life is what you are alive to.” If that’s true, then let me tell you, I was alive to deer! My eyes constantly scanned the road and nearby fields looking for deer.

Wooded areas that once looked beautiful were now dangerous. Why? Because I knew the truth. There were deer lurking in those woods waiting to run in front of my car!

I was as alive to deer as the most eager hunter! If I saw deer standing near the side of the road, it made my heart pound and my palms sweat.

Several lessons have occurred to me about this episode in my life.

One is more obvious: Deer hunting should be done without using a car.

Another idea was more insightful: Is it possible to be just as alive to God as I was to deer?

Now hold on just a minute! What does hitting a deer have to do with being alive to God?

Here’s my take. Ever since that day, I think a lot more about deer. I think about where deer live, when they roam, where they hide and what I would do if one jumped out in front of me.

The Bible says that when a person comes to God through faith in Jesus Christ, he or she is “alive to God.” Suddenly there’s an awareness of God previously unknown.

While the average person ignores God, the Bible says, “In him we live and move and have our being.” It says he wants people to “seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him.”

God is the source of our life. He knows all about us and loves us anyway. The Bible says he wants to forgive our failures, bless us and have a personal relationship with us.

Here’s my question for you: “Are you alive to God?” If not, will you seek him more than money, pleasure, success or security?

Millions have sought and found him. You can, too.

God promises, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

So, as I see it, you’ve got a choice: You can live life as though God didn’t exist (and miss out on his blessings, provision, wisdom, guidance, peace and eternal life). Or you can seek him.

Take a lesson from the deer. They’re always around. But normally you don’t see them until you’re aware of them. By then it can be too late.

It’s the same with God. You must choose to become alive to him before it’s forever too late.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter