Monday, August 24, 2009

A New Adventure


We began a new adventure this week. A grandson adventure.

Kyle Steven announced his arrival Friday with a cry that was music to his family’s ears. And while his face was new, he was no stranger.

In that new face were the familiar lines of his father’s brow and his mother’s chin. He is a delight to behold. And to hold.

The other day I held this tiny new life in my arms for almost an hour. His brow furrowed and his lips puckered in his sleep. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.

He is a picture of God’s grace. It’s no wonder newborns capture our eyes and our hearts!

Charles Dickens wrote, “It is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us.” And when we love them we demonstrate the love God has for us.

“Now just a minute! How is loving a newborn like God’s love for us?”

No one had to tell me to love Kyle. I love him because he is my grandson.

Even though he doesn’t know me yet, I will love him until he does. And then I hope he will love me because he knows me.

The Bible tells us that we love God because he first loved us. Long before we knew him, he knew us and loved us anticipating the day we would know him and love him, too.

Little Kyle doesn’t have to earn my love either. I know that he will cry and misbehave. He will make mistakes, fall and be hurt. But I will still love him, help him and forgive him.

God loves you and he loves me because we are children of his son and daughter, Adam and Eve. We don’t have to earn his love. Just accept it.

What’s amazing is that God is willing to love and forgive us even before we are sorry for our sin. The Bible says, “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Because of Jesus Christ’s death on the cross for our sin, God can offer us complete and unconditional forgiveness as a free gift. Forgiveness for all our mistakes, rebellion and sins.

God knows all about us--our past and our future failures. But he is the original failure forgiver—the God of second, third--and more--chances. Why? Because he loves us.

Usually children and grandchildren accept the love of their parents without questioning it. So why do many people question God’s love for them? The path to peace with God is to accept the love he offers through his son, Jesus Christ.

Jesus calls us to follow him. He doesn’t call us to simply make a decision. He invites us to follow him and become his disciple. A disciple is someone who re-arranges his life to follow and obey Jesus Christ.

When I look at my new grandson, I don’t know what the future holds for him. I don’t know yet how our relationship will turn out. And when we accept God’s love for us in Christ, we don’t know everywhere it will take us. But we can know that it will be good.

You can be sure I will do everything in my power to give my grandson a good life—just like my other grandchildren. But God can do better than that. The Bible says that he is able to work in all things “for the good of those who love him.” Even I can’t do that!

On Monday we welcomed home not just a new face, but also a new life full of potential. A child to love and be loved by. A new adventure that is a reminder of God’s love for us.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter