Monday, August 10, 2009

Resume Guidance

In the past two weeks I traveled to three states in the Midwest, Northeast and the South.

Previously I would have had my trusty map and directions by my side. But all that has changed now that I drive a car with a navigation system.

All I have to do is input my destination and the car tells me where to go. It’s amazing!

If I decide to leave the prescribed route to make a stop, the navigator keeps telling me to make turns that will put me back on the correct route. If it gets too annoying, I just push a button and say “Suspend guidance.” Then it leaves me alone until I ask it to “Resume guidance.”

What if I forget to resume guidance? Then the navigator is silent no matter how lost I get. And that reminds me of where many people find themselves in life: Lost with no direction.

“Now hold on just a minute! How is a car with navigation like losing one’s way in life?”

It’s easy to make a wrong turn in life, even if you start out going in the right direction. And once you’re lost, it’s hard to get back on track.

I’ve spoken to many people who started their life’s journey well. Maybe they had parents, grandparents, a friend or a relative that brought them to church. And when they heard the gospel, they put their faith in Christ and began to follow him.

But then they made a wrong turn in life and lost their way.

Sure, their conscience bothered them. No doubt it kept reminding them to follow Jesus and obey him. But they just said to God, “Suspend guidance” and kept on going their own way.

Then one day they find themselves completely lost and unsure where to go. What to do?

The answer is the same as when I’m driving my car. They need to turn “divine navigation” back on in their life. The solution is to turn back to God and ask him to “Resume guidance.”

The Bible says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”

God is able to remove obstacles from our path, get us back on track and bring us to the place where he can bless us and make us a blessing to others. But you must first admit your “mistake” and trust God to lead you again. (The Bible calls that “confession” and “repentance.”)

My car’s navigation system works because it communicates with a network of satellites that plot my location and my destination. Then, from its database of maps, it selects the best route to drive to my destination.

Divine guidance works when we begin to follow Jesus Christ. The Bible becomes our roadmap for life. It’s advice and warnings keep us on the right road. As the scripture says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”

When we obey God, continue to follow him and meditate on what he said in the scriptures, he is able to lead us into a joyful and fulfilling life of service. Then, one day, we will arrive at our ultimate destination, Heaven.

So, if you want to enjoy your life’s journey without getting lost, stick with God’s direction. If you’ve taken a detour and gotten lost, humble yourself and resume divine guidance.

What’s amazing is that God is so patient with us. When we return to him and admit our sin and self-centeredness, he forgives us and offers us a new beginning.

God says, “Return to me and I will return to you.”

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

1 comment:

Bo Burch said...

What a simple and accurate comparison - Our Best Life is when we seek God's direction as He never makes mistakes. Let us set our soul's GPS to focus on Him and what give Him glory and honor.

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter