Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Almost Friends

I’ll never forget the day I almost met Bob Hope in Columbus, Ohio.

As I walked from a restaurant to the parking lot with friends, I almost ran in to him--literally! He was coming up the sidewalk and walked right by me.

“Hey, wasn’t that Bob Hope?” asked my friend. I said, “No way!” My friend said, “Yes it was!” So I went back and took a second look and, sure enough, it was Bob Hope, star of stage and screen. He was much shorter than I expected and looked like an ordinary grandfather. But I never met him. He was headlining the Ohio State Fair that year and had all his “people” around him. It was the closest I ever got to a Hollywood star.

So, if I told you Bob Hope and I were good friends, would you believe me? Of course not! I got close to him but I never met him. We were almost friends. And, as they say, “Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.”

Some people I know are almost friends of Jesus, too. They are almost Christians.

Well hold on just a minute. How can you be almost a Christian? Good question!

Some people get close to Jesus but never meet him. They almost run into him at church, Vacation Bible School, camp, weddings and funerals. Often they even attend church regularly and sing in the choir. But they don’t know Jesus and he doesn’t know them.

Others are introduced to Jesus Christ but then they forget him and go on with their lives. Maybe a friend introduces them to Jesus and talks about how a relationship with him changed their life. But they don’t personally pursue a “God-connection.” Nothing changes.

If I had personally met Bob Hope and then forgot who he was, it wouldn’t make much difference in my life. But if you meet Jesus and forget who he is, it will matter for eternity.

Last month I asked a young man if he’d met Jesus. He told me, “Not personally.” Well, if you’ve never personally met Jesus, may I introduce you? He’s worth more than a second look.

The Bible’s most famous verse, John 3:16, says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Jesus himself claimed he was God’s son and that his death would provide forgiveness for sin. The Bible says, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Faith in Christ solves your sin problem and gives you the gift of eternal life.

A Christian is a person who meets Jesus Christ in the Bible, puts his or her faith in him and finds Jesus to be all he claims to be. Once a person takes that step of faith, they discover that God changes them for the better, from the inside out! And Jesus becomes a true friend forever.

You read a lot in the newspaper about politics. People are very passionate about it. But politics can’t really change your life forever or satisfy your soul. Only Jesus can do that.

Here’s what I tell folks who ask how they can meet Jesus and become a Christian: “The Bible makes it as easy as A, B, C. A - ADMIT to God that you have sinned and turn from your sin to God. B - BELIEVE that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and rose from the dead. C - CALL upon Jesus and ask him to be your Lord and Savior.”

The Bible says if you do that, you can “know that you have eternal life.” Being a Christian and going to Heaven isn’t just a “hope so.” It’s a “know so” because God said so!

Once you meet Jesus, make peace with God and settle your eternal destination, you can focus on making a difference in this world because the most important issues are finally settled.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter