Monday, February 9, 2009

Goodbye, Hello

Last week we said goodbye to our cat. She died Thursday, old and well loved.

Bria was faithful. She met us at the door with a meow. She sat in our laps while we watched TV. She lay on the floor near my feet while I worked on my computer.

She didn’t ask for much but gave a lot of love in return. She was a comforting companion.

It hurt to see her suffer. It hurt that we could do little to help. At least she didn’t suffer long.

If you’ve ever lost a pet, you know what we’ve been through. There’s an empty place in our home. I keep expecting to see her out of the corner of my eye.

On top of that, a special aunt also passed away last week. She was my dad’s closest sister.

I remember visiting in Aunt Jean’s home as a child and playing with my cousins. My uncle Joe was a preacher, too. Just like my dad. Now all three of them are gone.

My aunt’s passing reminded me of how much I miss my father. And my heart went out to my cousins who have had to say goodbye to both mother and father.

Losing a relative or a pet we love hurts. Every other time we said goodbye, we hoped to see them again. But last week we had to say the final goodbye. Twice.

The Bible compares death to a sting. At first the loss of a loved one can be almost unbearable. But with time the pain lessens. Eventually the heart heals. Until the next sting.

One thing about life I wasn’t prepared for. The longer you live the more you see death.

My dad came home from a funeral once and, from what he told me, it was one of the most difficult he ever had as a pastor. A man in his early forties had died in a hunting accident. His family was so distraught that they literally tried to pull him out of the coffin. True story.

Now while I miss my dad and others who have passed on, I have a sure hope I will see them again. And that helps me cope with grief.

OK, hold it right there for just a minute. Why is it that Christians talk about seeing their dead loved ones again? Isn’t that a little weird?

Not if you’re a student of the Bible.

The Bible teaches that there is life after this life. But it also says that decisions we make in this life affect our destination in the next.

God doesn’t want anyone to be surprised in eternity. So he tells us the facts of eternal life.

The Bible says people have eternal souls. It tells us that eternal life is available to everyone through faith in Jesus Christ.

What must you believe? That you are a sinner and you need a Savior. That Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sin. And that if you trust in him, Jesus will save your soul and take you to Heaven.

The Bible tells us that Heaven and Hell are real places. Just like New York City or Chicago.

For the Christ follower, the Bible says, “To be away from the body” is to be “at home with the Lord.” Reincarnation? No. With the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus once told a story that explained how we would one day join those who have died in faith before us. He said we would recognize them and be able to communicate with them. So while it’s “Goodbye” now, it will be “Hello” soon. Heaven is an amazing place!

So while saying a final goodbye is difficult, for the Christ follower it is an exercise of confident hope. Because we know that, one day soon, we will see our loved ones in Heaven.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter