Monday, February 23, 2009

Shadowlight

Did you grow up in someone’s shadow? I did.

My parents walked in the light of the Bible and I walked in their shadow. But they filled their shadow with light, the truth of God’s Word.

As they lived it, their lives reflected God’s light into my life.

Soon there came a day I had to choose whether I would step out in the light, cast my own shadow and fill it with light. It wasn’t easy.

Coming of age and going to college brings its own kind of darkness. Each one of us has to choose the light for our self. I learned that not everyone loves the light.

Jesus said, “Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

God’s truth is light for the soul. It lights up a life and others can see God reflected in it.

Now hold on for just a minute! What’s all this talk about light? Doesn’t the Bible say, “God is love?”

It does. And as we learn about God and his love for us, our love for him grows. As we seek to know God better through his Word, the Bible, the result is enlightenment. Truth. Wisdom.

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path,” a wise man once wrote in the Bible.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world.” When we come to God through faith in Christ we enter his light. Jesus continued, “Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

God’s Word adds, “If we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ, his son, cleanses us from all sin.”

One of the blessings of God’s light is forgiveness for our failures. God said he accepts Jesus’ death on the cross as full payment for all our sin. And when God forgives us and shines his light in our life, we can reflect it to others who walk in our shadowlight.

When I stepped out of my parents’ shadow and walked in God’s light for myself, I learned that God was faithful to me. When I trusted him, I learned he was dependable. He led me, protected me and met my every need.

My children grew up in my shadow. Their faith grew in my shadowlight. And as my wife and I launched each one, we hoped they would step into the light, cast their own shadow and fill it with light for those who follow them.

Who stands in your shadow? Is it filled with the light of God?

Life can be depressing. So many people live in dark world. What they need is someone to shine God’s light into their life.

Do you walk in the light of God? If you do, then your shadow will be filled with his light. If you don’t, seek his light. Read the New Testament of the Bible and ask God to fill your mind with his truth.

God will surprise you because that’s a prayer he loves to answer.

There’s nothing quite like the joy of light entering a darkened life! Once you step into the light, you can cast your own shadow and fill it with God’s light. Your shadowlight.

Listen to the Bible; it’s great for your soul!

No comments:

Lake Side Church of the Brethren

http://www.lakesidecob.org/

How Many of Me?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
33
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

sitemeter